As a third generation Chinese-Canadian, I can’t speak Chinese and growing up, most of my knowledge of Asian culture came from the Kung Fu T.V. series. The Chinese New Year is just another reason to go out to a Chinese restaurant with family without whom I couldn’t order much more than Combo Meal B.
Yet the Chinese New Year is a second chance for us procrastinators to make resolutions to shed routines that aren’t working for us and to live our lives better or at least more deliberately.
Here for your consideration is my menu of resolutions. Check those that speak to you or be inspired to write out the change you want to make today.
- To live life more deliberately.
- To spend rationally but love passionately.
- To consider everything I put into my mouth, realizing I am what I eat and my health depends on it.
- To consider everything that comes from my mouth, recognizing my power to help or harm.
- To drive without distraction, knowing that the lives of others depend on it.
- To live as I wish to be remembered.
- To treat people as if it was my last chance to show kindness and care.
- To treat the people I love, lovingly.
- To frame each day with thoughts of thankfulness so that I may more graciously receive the gifts of the present.
- To see something new in the people and things I see each day.
- To hear the music in the voices I hear this day.
- To see the beauty in my world, in others and in myself.
- To make a positive difference in the lives of those I can touch.
- To act out of character.
- To create something new each day.
- To take one step each day towards my dreams.
- To dream big.
- To laugh each day – loudly, often and with others.
- To laugh until I cry.
- To cry as long as it makes me feel better.
- To see myself as part of something bigger than my own self – incomplete in isolation but essential to the whole.
- To be an agent for positive change in my school or workplace and at home.
- To do something each day that brings happiness to someone else.
- To do something each day that brings me happiness.